Night sweats can be defined as a situation inwhich a person sweats excessively during their sleep at night. It's normal for people to sweat during their sleep if the weather is hot or, if they are wearing heavy clothing and if the room is not well ventilated.
Image: Summertime Health Services
But, if you notice that you are sweating so much at night even when the room is well aired, the weather is normal and you are wearing light clothing then, there could be an underlying medical condition.
There are many reasons why people could sweat excessively at night, some of these reasons are no cause for alarm while some reasons call for immediate medical attention.
Here Are Six (6) Conditions That Can Cause People To Sweat Excessively At Night
1. Hormonal Disorders: hormones are like chemicals that controls the growth and development of humans. A slight change in the balance of hormones can cause problems including night sweats.
Hormone disorders like hyperthyroidism can cause people to sweat excessively at night.
Image: Mayo clinic
2. Anxiety And Stress: stress and anxiety are two factors that can induce night sweats. Stress and anxiety are both psychological and mental issues.
People who suffer from anxiety disorders and people who are often stressed can suffer from night sweats.
Image: Mayo clinic
3. Infections: Infections are diseases that are caused by germs or, microorganisms like, virus, bacteria, fungi etc. People who have certain kinds of infections can suffer from night sweats.
For example, people who have HIV/Aids and tuberculosis as well as some other bacterial infections can have night sweats.
4. Side Effects Of Medications: all medications have side effects and the side effects of some drugs is night sweats. People who suffer from depression usually take antidepressants medications.
And one of the side effects of some antidepressants is night sweat. Drugs like aspirin and paracetamol can also cause some people to sweat excessively at night.
5. Cancer: cancer is a deadly disease. Cancer occurs in four stages (stage 1-4). People who have cancer usually have some signs that alerts them to the fact that all is not well with them. There are many types of cancer and one of them is, lymphoma.
Lymphoma usually makes people to sweat excessively at night. There also other types of cancer that announce their presence through night sweats.
6. Perimenopause: perimenopause is a period that precedes menopause in women. Menopause is when a woman stops menstruating and is no longer able to bear children. Women who are experiencing perimenopause experience hot flashes which can make them to sweat at night.
The time difference between perimenopause and the actual menopause can take years which means some women who are in their perimenopausal period will experience night sweats for quite some time.
Other factors like neurological conditions can also cause night sweats.
Thanks For Reading.
Content created and supplied by: Shinysatellitepotiskum (via Opera News )