Scientific name for the all known bitter leaf. As the name implies, it is a bitter herb but what many people don't know is that the health benefits of this herb is uncountable. Bitter leaf can be taken in as soup ( ofe onugbo popularly known to the Igbo community), as a juice and can also be chewed raw( please note that it can discoulour your teeth and leaves a lasting bitter taste and bitter hands).
Bitter leaf is composed of numerous important nutrients like : Cartenoids, calcium, iron, sodium, fiber, carbohydrates and proteins. This herb can grow in any climate which makes it versatile and readily available.
The important health benefits of this herb are listed below
1) The bitter taste in bitter leaf serves the most important function of sugar control. Thus reducing your risk of diabetes
2) Drinking bitter leaf juice acts as an antacid to control stomach upsets and diseases like diarrhea and dysentery
3) For the weight watchers in the house, bitter leaf juice speeds up your metabolism which burns fat in the process. The nutrients in bitter leaf destroy bad cholesterol and get rid of excess calories also promoting weight loss.
4) The potassium in bitter leaf removes excess soduim in your cells which causes hypertension and acts as a remedy for hypertension thus controlling your blood pressure.
5) Bitter leaf posseses quinine which hasanti malaria properties. Making it a perfect cure of the occasional malaria and fever.
6) Lastly, bitter leaf acts as a detoxifier, flushing out toxins from our system
Though it is bitter, just think of the countless health benefits you can get with just taking a cup of bitter leaf juice at least once a day. But even if you can't endure the bitter taste, you can also try the Igbo ofe onugbo, a delicious delicacy with the bitter leaf.
Content created and supplied by: deedeemorgan (via Opera News )